Tuesday 22 April 2014

Evaluation Question 2 & 4

EVALUATION QUESTION 2
In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Generic conventions of Music Video
Through research and analysis of music videos, I found that a typical convention of music videos are an emphisis of the artist through the use of close up and mid shot more often but, some long shots. Through these types of shots, an emphasis on the location and emotion/atmosphere of the music video/song is also achived. I conformed to these conventions by using a variety of close upshots through out the video in order to maintain and emphise the main star performer in my video. I also relied heavily on mid shots of my star performer to establish the rural, urban, gritty locations that my video was filmed in. Music videos also usually use mise-en-scene to reineforce the importance of a certain aspect of the video or the lyrics to the song for example, a music video that is about heart break may include long shots of the star performer walking down a long road alone to reingenforce the fact that he is single and alone. In my music video, I both challenge and use this convention in my music video, to an extent. Rather then trying to have it so that the mise-en-sence renforces the lyrics of the music video, I relied on my the use of mid shots to reenforce the theme of the genre of the song. My music video is of a underground/indie genre which, are not filmed in high built, modern location usally, rather run down, rural areas. So, I tried to portray that aspect through the use of mise-en-scene although, the lyrics of my song are about the 'party atmosphere' and raving  and I included close up shots of names of bars and clubs to reingforce the message behind the song. By doing this I have supported Godwins theory where he suggests that there is a relationship between the lyrics of the song and the visuals in the song. He states that the visuals either contradict or amplify the lyrics of the song. By including shots of names of bars and clubs, I have amplified the meaning behind the song. Godwin also said that there is a high demand of close up shots of the star artist/vocalist.

 A convention of music videos of the underground/indie genre is that it is not filmed in built up, well established, modern locations because it defeats the purpose of entire genre of music which is inntends  to portray an independent, low budget (in comparison to pop music videos), rurual feel to it. I conformed to this aspect of indie music videos by selecting to film in areas of south london such as Croydon, Stockwell and Brixton which, in my opinion, best portrays an urban, independant lower budget music video. I conformed to this convention becaause It is expected of the target audience for this genre of music so, I would have a higher chance to attract my audience.








(Click to enlarge image)


EVALUATION QUESTION 4
 Image 1
 I collected audience feedback from my target audience (15-18 year olds) using questionaires which consisted of a mixture of both open and closed question to allow me to collect Indepth, opinionated information aswell as generic information about music videos in general. I also carried 1-to-1 interviews with people within my target audience during post prediction stages of my music video and anciliry products (website and digipak) where I alowed the interviewe to preview parts of my products then asked them questions such as 'do you think the font works well with the genre of music' and 'what would you change about each product & why'. I deliberately asked such broad questions so that I could gather as much feedback to then use to my advantage by revising my concepts and ideas to ensure that they meet the expectations of my target audience.
 
                               
Image 2 
 I translated all quantitative data from my questionnaire into pie charts to help myself get a clearer image of how many people prefered different things for an example, the question that asks 'How do you listen to music'. From this information, I learned that the majoirty of people who answered my questionnaire listend to music via Youtube. I used this information to my advantage by making sure that my music video would be avavliable on Youtube, so that my target audience would be more likely to listen and view my music video.
One thing that I would change about my method of feedback would be reaching out to a wider audience. I distributed my questionnaire and carried out my interview to students that attend my sixth form and that were in my class. I done this because I felt that it was the easiest way to target my audience but, in future, I would also interiew and give out questionnaires to my friends that are not in my class neither attend my sixth form so that my level of feedback is more broad and I have more to use to help me improve my work.

Image 1 is an exapmle of the questionnaire I distributed to my target audience. Image 2 shows data collected translated into a pie chart.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment